Aceshardware

(not so) temporary home for the aceshardware community
 FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Aceshardware</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: IPv6 via iPhone, Linksys E3000 and Comcast
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:35 pm 

My router died yesterday and I bought an E3000 to replace it. Just for grins this morning I did a IPv6 test via one of the many sites on the web and discovered that the iPhone had an IPv6 connection. Comcast appears to do a 6to4 translation as part of this even though I'm not on their IPv6 beta list. (I'm in Baltimore County)

It appears that even though there is no mention of IPv6 support that I can find and no config pages on the E3000 itself it allows the iOS4 upgraded 3Gs to surf via IPv6. Same test on this old WinXP lappy shows no IPv6 connectivity as expected. I'll test the Win7 desktop I'm bringing up later today.

One big issue is that without some control over the IPv6 ability of the E3000 I'm concerned about what sort of firewall is in place on the E3000.

Any other tests suggested I can perform?

tnx

gb

Post subject: Re: IPv6 via iPhone, Linksys E3000 and Comcast
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:07 pm 

Win7-64 machine also tests positive for IPv6 connection and as expected has different IP address from iPhone. Both addresses are based on MAC addresses.
Both also reach ipv6.google.com.
gb