Aceshardware

(not so) temporary home for the aceshardware community
 FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Aceshardware</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Is NVidia doomed?
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:13 pm 

Quote:
Jon Peddie research:
  • AMD and Intel gained in overall market share at the expense of Nvidia from the last quarter.
  • Year to year this quarter AMD had tremendous market share growth, Intel had above average growth, and Nvidia slipped significantly.
Is Jon Peddie Research (JPR), the industry's research and consulting firm for graphics and multimedia, right? I don't think so.

IMO, JPR missed that there is the principle difference between chipset w/ IGP and cpu w/ IGP inside.
With chipsets users (or OEMs) had options buying chipset w/ IGP or w/o IGP, depending on their preferences. With IGP inside a cpu they lost this luxury. TIW, collecting the data for all gpu market has no sense anymore.

To get into trends we need to look at d.GPU only, and in the best case scenario, for Intel and AMD cpus separately because almost each, if not each, d.GPU which pairs AMD cpu is ATI but not NV.

I have no data with Intel and AMD split. For combined market Mercury gives us next stats.
For desktops:
In Q1-2011 AMD and NV have parity. The whole d.GPU market has risen on ~12% Q1/Q4 and slight decline Q1/Q1 YoY.
For notebooks:
AMD has a bit of lead: with 10400KU(58.3%) vs. 7425KU(41.7%). In Q1/Q4 NV has done quite fine with +39% vs. +18% for AMD, and that's especially important under Sandy Bridge shine.
If we'd exclude Apple affect on AMD and its own cpu market I'd expect NV has a big lead over ATI in Intel market and that's very important because AMD notebook market will shrink and most of AMD notebooks will be sold without d.GPU. I see no reasons to buy powerful gpu paired w/ weak cpu and to pay more.

Post subject: Re: Is NVidia doomed?
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:31 am 

JPR have very good papers, very detailed, but charge for them and only publish a very limited data, did you know they are trying to pay their employers?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:28 pm 

What did you mean or hint at when saying "they are trying to pay their employers"?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:22 pm 

I mean, they want you pay for the data you want.